Excellent work as always, Lou! I really appreciate your and everybody else's efforts to make this DID campaign an enjoyable experience. (If only my Abteilung wouldn't be wiped out so often...) smile

The Germans will have to wait until March 3, 1918 for their own wound decoration. On that date the Kaiser authorized a so-called Verwundetenabzeichen (Wound Badge) in three classes: black, silver and gold. The navy got their own wound badge, Marineverwundetenabzeichen, in similar three classes on June 24, 1918. It was only awarded to men who were wounded in naval battles, and because the German navy didn't fight too many of those in the final months of 1918 (with the exception of the U-boats), the navy wound badges are quite rare compared to the army ones.

Here's a photo showing all three classes of the army wound badge in my collection:

The badge in black was awarded for being wounded once or twice, the silver badge for those wounded three or four times, or for the loss of a hand, foot or an eye or hearing (also partial), or for severe facial injuries or brain damage. The rarest badge, the one in gold, was awarded for being wounded five or more times, or for total loss of eyesight or manhood or severe brain damage.

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps