The continuing service of Albert "Mushroom" Ward:

3 Nov 1918 @ 09h46 Patrol the lines to enemy airfield Baiseux

At briefing we were advised that the wind would be 8 kn from the NNW with heavy dense cumulus from 5000 to 11500 ft, with rain below the cloud level.

I lead “B” flight composed of Rodden on wing, Gilchrist, Grinnell-Milne, Speaks, Hervey, Caldwell and Smy. We formed up just north of the field climbing to 10900 ft and set out directly for Baiseux. We climbed to 14700 ft along the way trying to gain clearance above the cloud cover. It was so dense that it was difficult to identify and ground features. As we arrived over Baiseux we were greeted with a large hole in the cloud cover and we could clearly see the aerodrome below us. It was then that I spotted four specs on my starboard side just slightly higher than us and coming in our direction. It soon became evident that they were two seaters and upon spotting us they turned southward. I lead the flight in a wide turn taking us directly behind and below what I soon identified as Rumpler CIV’s. As we came within range, they began to break formation in pairs, one protecting the other’s flank. I gave chase to the last member of one pair and began to fire at him but not before his leader sent some rounds at me as he passed by.
I continued my pursuit until my foe began to drop down, at which time some of my flight were all over him. I pulled out and just observed the situation until all four of the Rumplers had gone down. I waited for the flight to reform and just as I set out for our lines I began to lose power ever so slowly. I suspected the engine or fuel line had been hit. I glanced back to see the flight change direction back towards Baiseux and was puzzled by this until I spotted 8 scouts high above and behind us. I couldn’t dawdle to play so pushed the nose down slightly towards the clouds and our lines. I managed to lose two of the hun scouts that were looking for me. As soon as I got across the lines my engine gave out and I cut the fuel. I had plenty of altitude and followed the road leading to Avelin airfield. I had just enough altitude to make it down to the field with none to spare. I sat there in the cockpit for a time gaining my composure. I got out of my SE and looked her over carefully. I couldn’t see any bullet holes near the engine compartment, or in any other location. I began to suspect that it was just another engine failure. I reported in to the RO, put in my report, and asked to have the mechanics check out my SE. I later learned that all my flight made it back to Awoingt safely. Smy had shot down 2 of the Rumplers, and both Speaks and Hervey had accounted for the other two. Other than my engine failure only Speaks had suffered light damage to his craft in the melee.
As for the Hun scouts, they proved to be DVII OAW from Jasta 2, who did not want to play and contented themselves with only looking. That was a pleasant surprise.

YouTube Video:

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4