16 August 1916
Achille Coppens
Quatrieme Escadrille (RFC 25), Belgium
Farman F.40 Pusher (F.E.2b) - Back at Auchel/Lozinghem Airfield

Today I was released from the hospital along with my obs/gunner Capt. Bouckaert. The doctors have determined that we have recovered from our wounds sufficienty to return to full duty effective tomorrow!

Upon reporting back for duty my C.O. informed me that there was an opening in Esc 5 (RNAS-1) flying the Nieuport 11 if I was interested. I had hoped for the Sopwith Pup as I had heard the British flying men thought it was a better plane than the Nieuport 11 (but I'm sure the French flyers would differ!). But at my rank my C.O. was unable to find a slot for me in the new Pup, so I'll happily settle for the Nieuport!

My C.O. said he would submit my transfer request in the morning, so now it's on with the business of staying alive in my Farman until my transfer hopefully comes through!

Upon my discharge from the hospital I returned my Soldat Belge Hors Combat medal which is only carried by wounded soldiers during a period of recovery. And it did come in handy when I snuck out of the hospital last night for a glass of wine with Bernadette smile The MP's, always on the lookout for deserters, passed by our table but spotted the medal and moved on without any questions.

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup