Captain Kevin Carroll, MC, DFC
41 Squadron
Conteville

49 confirmed kills

12th July 1918

Kevin woke, climbed out of bed and went over to the window. He opened the dusty curtains and stared out at the sodden airfield and the driving rain rolling down the window pane.

He was about to get back into bed but decided to get dressed and head over to the mess and grab some breakfast.

On the way he saw Fred McCall coming out of Major Bowman's office looking mighty pleased with himself.

"Hey Fred, hold up. What's made you so happy? You look like you'd lost a shilling but found a pound." said Kevin.

"Hi Kev, let's get some food pal, I'll tell you in a bit" said McCall.

Once they'd had breakfast, Kevin asked again "So what's this news Fred? Don't keep us in suspenders" quipped Kevin.

Fred and 'Dozy' Claxton laughed. "Yeah come on" added Claxton.

"I'm being awarded the D.S.O." said McCall.

"That's fantastic Fred! I'm made up for you!" said Kevin.

Claxton echoed Kevin's sentiments.

"Thanks guys. I'm not sure when or where the presentation is, just that I'm getting it" said Fred.

"Well that's good enough for me pal. We need to organise a celebration tonight" said Kevin and 'Dozy' Claxton agreed.

Before Fred could say anything the other two had gone off to get a party together for the evening.

Kevin spent the day sorting out food and drink whilst Claxton sorted the Mess out and got some banners knocked up in one of the hangers and had them hung in the Mess.

The party was great fun and a real lift for the squadron. It went on until the wee small hours.

Attached Files Screenshot_20210712-203739~2.pngScreenshot_20210712-204513~2.png

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."