Lou - Nothing in the game brings home the Homeric "terror of fighting" like a trench strafe.

"I know how to tread my measures on the grim floor of the war god."

C5333's canvas shouted like a drum and that pic of Freddy's perforated tail was chilling. I reread the Cambrai portions of 'No Parachute' to get in the proper frame of mind. Yeates also has some great chapters on ground attack. I vividly recall the scene in Winged Victory where Cundall's fire-eating new Flight Commander "doesn't get away with it" and his wings fold up. Other than pulling the wings off a Pup two days in a row, I've not been so frightened in the DID as I was during these recent ground attacks. "All risks to be taken." Immersion has its drawbacks but it was the RFC's turn to face the guns just like the PBI. Glad Oliver's pal Freddy survived the latest phase of the battle. Let's hope we don't have to do that again anytime soon.

Fullofit - Dish towels aligned on edge... Genius! Why on earth didn't I think of that? Excellent news that Rudi's unmentionables drawer remains in good order, per the Book of Instructions.
Four Camels! Rudi's meteoric rise continues unabated with these latest four. Did Göttsch bag Rudi's stray SPAD? I'm not sure how I feel about a kill-poaching commanding officer...
Concur regarding hopes for the BHaH2 AI improvements. Also the goggle effect. Today's mission would have been even more challenging with water spraying across the goggles.

Albert - John Joseph Pershing himself?! Jimmy will be in the limelight now. Excellent work sending that Alb to the house of the death god. Very well done pics. Oliver sympathizes regarding the unfortunate lack of eyewitnesses. C'est la guerre. You know you shot him. He knows you shot him. A grateful France, and perhaps les mademoiselles Francaise, must suffice as reward.

trustworthykebab - welcome! Come on in, the water is deep but exhilarating. You won't regret it.

Carrick - Another one escaped your clutches?! Hang in there, the DVII cometh!

Lt. Casey - What news of young Arnold? Are his fingers raw from peeling so many potatoes?

À la Recherche du Temps Perdu - Part 66

3 April 1918
84 Squadron RFC
Conteville, France

9.30 Offensive patrol over the Amiens salient. Weather grey with intermittent rain squalls. Visibility marginal. I led B-Flight with Johnson, Harry Brown, B-P and Clear. The cloud ceiling was down to 6000 feet so we went in low. Archie yapped as we crossed the lines.

[Linked Image]
Near Cappy, yellow-nosed Albatri burst out of the clouds. I barrel rolled to the right just in time.

The attack scattered B-Flight. Difficult to track the enemy in the grey skies. The rain clouded the Aldis sight. I landed a short burst, lost sight for a time, then found his yellow tail against the grey clouds and hit him with a half second snap shot. He broke hard and dove. I lost him again.

Circling as I looked for the elusive Hun, I spotted a bright silver Pfalz down at 300 feet. I could see no other aircraft about so I dropped down and gave him a burst. The Pfalz slid hard to the right, spun twice, then went straight in. All too easy. Alas the only witnesses were the Kaiser’s infantry firing at me with all their fury. I climbed and finally spotted the Yellow nosed Alb.

[Linked Image]
He was floating down to a safe landing. C5333 had enough holes so I let him go.

Climbed north toward Bray, our designated rally point. Found B-P and Johnson. Returned to Conteville.

This afternoon brought another movement order from Colonel Holt at 22nd Wing. No 84 Squadron to Bertangles, near Amiens. Much closer to the action. Babson scuttled about worriedly as he helped me pack my belongings. He’s lost several pilots under his charge and I fear that the strain is getting to him.

More bad news: Leask has gone to hospital and is not likely to return. No. 84 Squadron have now lost two Flight Commanders in the past 4 days.

Last edited by epower; 04/04/21 12:24 AM.