MFair, wait! Was Marjorie tail heavy and prone to stall? I'm so confused.
Raine, thanks for the additional info. Just wanted to know what the price of death is.

4 February , 1916 9:15
Senard, Verdun Sector
Escadrille N37
Sergent Gaston A. Voscadeaux

“- Bonjour, I am Sergent Gaston Voscadeaux. Reporting for duty!” Gaston saluted as he entered his new C.O.’s office.
“- Ahh, Bienvenue! Entrez-Vous! You are the pilot who arrived late last night, n’est pas?” Capitaine Louis Joseph Marie Quillien, the commanding officer of Escadrille N37 lifted himself from the armchair and offered Gaston his hand. Gaston looked around the office. The picture on the Capitaine’s desk caught his eye.
“- Is that ...” Gaston was speechless.
“- Yes, he served with us before transferring to MS49.” Capitaine Quillien beamed.

[Linked Image]

“- You ... knew ... Adolphe Pegoud, the King of the Air?” Gaston could not believe his eyes and ears.
“- Yes, we flew together for a few months, but enough about celebrities. Let’s get down to business.” Quillien sat back behind his desk. “- I’m afraid we’ll have to put you to work right away. Are you up for it?” Le Capitaine was looking at a chart behind him on the chalkboard.
“- Oui, mon Capitaine. I am eager to serve!” In fact, Gaston couldn’t wait to get his hands on one of those single-seaters.
“- Bon! You will fly with ...” Still looking at the chart Quillien couldn’t quite decide. “- ... with Caporal Durand. He will be your observer.”
“- Ob... Observer?” Gaston was taken aback.
“- Is that a problem, Sergent Voscadeaux?” The new C.O. was intrigued.
“- I thought we will be flying the Nieuport scouts.” Gaston sounded disappointed.
“- Oh, sorry to disappoint you, mon ami. The scouts are reserved for higher ranked pilots. But don’t worry. Work hard, fly well, stay alive and I’m certain you will find yourself sitting in one of them very soon. Be patient. For now it’s the Nieuport 12 for you. I’m sure you will find it to your liking.” Gaston liked this man, he had the qualities of a great leader. Something that’s been lacking as of late in the French Command.
Caporal Christophe Durand, Gaston’s new observer/gunner was young, very young. His face was covered in zits and easily excitable. And when he was excited, Gaston found him speaking very fast. He reminded him of someone he knew, but couldn’t quite place it. It was only when Christophe spoke of his father that Gaston made the connection. What a small world, Durand’s father drives a taxi in Paris.
Despite this being Gaston’s first mission in the new area, he was picked to lead the ‘B’ Flight. Caporal Mondeme would bring up the rear. They would spot for the artillery NW of the aerodrome just over the lines and they would get cover from the Nieuports 10 of the ‘A’ Flight, composed of S.Ltn. Medeville and Sgt. de Geuser. It was one of those overcast days, dominated by steel-grey clouds. They’ve been hurried along by Flak over the entire stay over the front. They didn’t see many troop positions and the artillery ranging shots never came. Gaston’s first mission at Senard aerodrome was a bust. Hopefully he would be able to prove himself more useful than this and soon.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files Pegoud.JPG1916-02-04.jpg

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."