22 September, 1916 14:10 afternoon mission
Luxeuil, Alsace Sector
3 Wing RNAS
SC Tobias Chester Mulberry
19 confirmed kills
Awaiting 1 claim confirmation

It was back to St. Dié for the afternoon mission. They were babysitting a Strutter from the ‘A’ flight on a recon sortie of the front line sector. While the two-seater went on about his business, the pair of single-seaters circled nearby looking out for trouble. The trouble arrived in the form of a pair of Eindeckers. It was a strange engagement. No one seemed interested in fighting. Toby received some stray shots to the wings. He eventually fired at one of the Fokkers. He must have severed control cables because the Fokker went into a flat spin and dropped all the way down to the ground spinning like a top.

YouTube Link 1

As he searched for the rest of his flight Toby came in contact with another German patrol. This time it was a pair of E.IV’s. He attacked them head on. One of the Huns turned tail and left his companion to fend for himself. This Eindecker preferred to fight low to the ground, just over the trenches. Little did he know the trenches belonged to the Poilus. In addition to Toby’s salvos, he received small arms fire from below. The Boche crashed into the trees near one of the trenches. Toby’s wingman also claimed a Hun for himself. It was turning out to be a productive day for both pilots.

YouTube Link 2

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."