Lou, congrats on the bling. Got it the hard way, with many, many kills, not just one large one. Well, off with you to make it an even 30.
Wulfe, those sunrises are spectacular, aren’t they? So many years flying this sim and it is still astonishing. Great description of the surroundings. Wish I was flying a Caudron again (or not).
Raine, thanks for the comparison. I still have ways to go to get to his level. Wonderful story BTW. Now I know why one would voluntarily fly at night. It’s all this glory, all this free booze, all those maidens. Who can resist?

20 August, 1916 04:00 morning mission
Luxeuil, Alsace Sector
3 Wing RNAS
FL Tobias Chester Mulberry
9 confirmed kills

The strange, ‘one-bullet kill’ E.III and the 2 from last mission have been confirmed. It looks like Draper was paying attention and was able to confirm both claims.

They were waiting for them. Despite an early departure and getting to target still with the sun very low, the Huns were ready. A patrol over the Colmar factories spoiled their mission. Mulberry and Prince abandoned their bomb runs and engaged the enemy. Prince got one on his tail right away and Toby came to his rescue. He hit the Hun as he flew by and the other Strutter gave him the slip. The tables have turned and now the Fokker was being chased. Toby worried about the other Eindeckers that came along. He couldn’t see any. The two Strutters chased the monoplane and Mulberry realized they must be over their target right now. Maybe he can drop the bombs as they pass by? He quickly looked into the bombsight but it was too late. He watched as the factory slid by at the bottom of the targeting window. He took another look around and found another Eindecker following them. Toby quickly banked to avoid any fire and watched a green Fokker fly by. This Eindecker was after Prince though, attempting to rescue his wingman. The green Fokker pursued but Mulberry’s Strutter was right behind him. The Hun dove steeply to catch the first pair and Toby was left behind not willing to lose his wings in the dive. The green Fokker caught up to Prince and he was forced to abandon the hunt and take evasive maneuvers. Toby finally got there as well and carefully, as not to collide with the other Strutter, inserted himself behind the Eindecker and brought it down. Tobias looked around but couldn’t see where Prince had gone to. He decided to return on his own. Prince was missing.

YouTube Link

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."