Raine, loved the elusive responses Collins crafted for the clueless Colonel. It was his own fault for asking such specific questions. Oh well. And that virtuous couch - the one piece of furniture universally hated by all men. I’m sure Alex was saved by that VC. I’m not sure about Swany though. I don’t think the couch will stand in his way. As to swatting the Huns out of the sky, somebody has to do it, with the two VC recipients gallivanting around country in England, who else will do it. Fullard is still painting his new, shiny, beautiful Nieuport.

Lou, that 25th is very elusive. Swany on the other hand is near a nice round number himself. Does one Zep still count same as one Eindecker? As to the faulty engines I’m afraid it’s only the beginning.

Carrick, it looks like you are about to be a recipient of another kind of award. Just remember, VD is not the same as VC.

30 September, 1916 15:25 afternoon mission
Luxeuil, Alsace Sector
3 Wing RNAS
SC Tobias Chester Mulberry
23 confirmed kills

All his recent claims have been rejected. Mulberry was not pleased.

Both flights took off without incident and were on their way to the initial waypoint on their recce mission of front lines above Metzeral, when suddenly Dissette and Pellyn in the ‘A’ flight, in front turned around and headed back to the aerodrome. Were they both having mechanical problems? Toby was confused but he understood everything once Ack-Ack started to pelt the air above the aerodrome. Two Eindeckers were coming from the south. They engaged the two-seaters and Mulberry kept back ready to lend assistance to the ‘A’ flight. It didn’t look like they needed any. At some point Pellyn appeared to have a bit of trouble with his Eindecker and Toby was quick to jump in and help. Pellyn didn’t appreciate it too much and let Toby know by flying too close. Mulberry returned to his high vantage point and observed. Again the Fokker outflew Pellyn and again Toby came back down to finish off the German monoplane. The Fokker was hit and spun to the ground, but Toby wasn’t finished. The other Fokker appeared in front of him, but already climbing and running away. Toby sent him a final goodbye burst from his Vickers and turned back, knowing well there was no point chasing the Hun.

YouTube Link

Tobias Chester Mulberry
Squadron Commander
3 Wing RNAS
Luxeuil, Alsace Sector
Sopwith Strutter B1
24 confirmed kills
125.67 hrs
89 missions

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,