Lou is right and may I just add that watching your wingman get pummeled and you can't do anything about it is frustrating. Good going MFair. Lucky to be alive.

31 January, 1916
Toul, Verdun Sector
Escadrille C17
Sergent Gaston A. Voscadeaux

There would be no flights today. Becquerel was given 48 hrs leave to take his nose to Toul and have it looked at by an otolaryngologist. Ever since the knock received from the Lewis he was making whistling noises which was driving Gaston bonkers. With Ernest away there simply were not enough observers to man even one flight.
As announced by le Capitaine yesterday, two new men showed up at the aerodrome this morning to replace Durand and Levy. After Adjutant Dumas gave them the usual tour of the aerodrome it was up to Voscadeaux to show them the ropes.
Adjutant Tristian Marcaggi was an agreeable fellow. He was fresh out of flying school and absorbed all information that Gaston could throw at him like a sponge. He was mostly interested in spending his time in the hangars observing the mechanics working on the Caudrons.
Sous Lieutenant Archand Dessarce was a different matter altogether. Throwing his rank around, he would not heed any advice Gaston would try to give him. Voscadeaux could see Dessarce was mishandling the engines but would not listen to any guidance. In fact, after Gaston’s remarks Sous Lieutenant Dessarce would abandon any further instructions and order Gaston to let him be. His rank provided all the knowledge he would need. After this announcement Gaston took his leave and decided to concentrate instead on finishing his bottle of wine waiting for him at the mess.

1 February, 1916
Toul, Verdun Sector
Escadrille C17
Sergent Gaston A. Voscadeaux

All flights were still on hold until more observers could be mustered.
Gaston’s Eindecker claim was rejected today due to lack of witnesses. It was a good thing Becquerel was away.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."