Wulfe and Lou, I keep repeating that Toby only gets to shoot the lame ducks that are the Eindeckers. No skill is required to bring those down. He hasn’t even heard of German biplane scouts.

Wulfe, poor Blanchon. Having tasted the power and performance of an N.17 he is now stuck with the pig. I guess that’s one way to teach pilots to take care of their machines and not to fly into telephone wires. I bet he’ll never do that again. Good news about Mac and congrats on double acedom. 4 more and you’ll be on par with Mulberry!

Lou, 3 missions a day?! eek Oh, the slave drivers those brass hats are. Are they allowed? I guess this is the penance for eating all those delicious preserves. Congrats on a downed Halberstadt. Is that the first in this Campaign? Great report format. Very visual. One step further and you could be narrating your own moving pictures, that is if they weren’t silent.

4 September, 1916 14:15 afternoon mission
Luxeuil, Alsace Sector
3 Wing RNAS
FC Tobias Chester Mulberry
14 confirmed kills

Toby was ordered to protect the ‘A’ flight on recon mission over front lines north of St. Dié. He thought: why would Strutters need protection and from what? They are the predators and the only thing that may think of attacking are those obsolete Eindeckers. As the word: “Eindecker” went through his mind three of them appeared on the horizon. They were all E.IV types which slightly complicated matters. Not because they were dangerous, but because it made it that much more difficult to decide which one to attack first. In the ensuing melee Toby tangled with one that eventually slipped away by climbing higher. He followed it for a while, noticing that another Hun did the same trick to Sharman and they were now both chasing two Fokkers together. He also noticed the third Boche flying lower. Mulberry switched to the Fokker below and filled it full of holes. Now Sharman also abandoned pursuit of his Fokker and joined the chase. The engine of the damaged Eindecker stopped, but the Hun remained afloat. Toby continued to fire, but at one point Sharman decided to butt in and steal Mulberry’s glory. That cheeky monkey. Toby, not to be outdone, reacquired his target and brought the Boche down. Sharman was not happy.

YouTube Link

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."