20 January, 1916 10:06
Toul, Verdun Sector
Sergent Gaston A. Voscadeaux

The word came from the higher-ups that today’s mission will involve bombing the rail yard at Verdun spurline NE junction. The flight will be lead by Adjutant Mezergues with Gaston acting as his wingman. The A flight will be composed of Sergent Levy and Caporal Sourdiac. They will meet up with a single Nieuport from Esc 31, which will provide cover.
Right from the start they’ve lost Sgt. Levy after takeoff with some sort of engine trouble. Voscadeaux tried to see if he made it back safely but lost him in the ground clutter. He’ll have to wait to find out if the crew of the plane is safe after they return from their mission. Gaston noticed 2 Aviatiks on the way to the target but didn’t dare to go after them before the bomb run. Adj. Mezergues led the flight over the target and dropped his bombs first. Gaston aimed and dropped them second, followed by Cpl. Sourdiac.

[Linked Image]

The bombing mission was a success with most of the munitions exploding near the sheds and the trains.

[Linked Image]

Looking back, they saw crates and equipment on fire. On the return leg Gaston saw again, most likely, the same two German planes, but too high to give chase. This is the second day in a row that the luck was on Boche’s side. One of those days it’ll run out and Gaston will be there to take advantage. While on final approach to the Toul aerodrome Gaston saw Sgt. Levy’s aeroplane being recovered by the crews.

[Linked Image]

It looks like the luck was also with them.

Attached Files 1 1916-01-20-Bomb1.jpg2 1916-01-20-Bomb2.jpg3 1916-01-20-Airfield.jpg

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."