Raine, it is amazing how James is able to prioritize his accommodations based on food supply. I wonder how many more of those “jumps” No. 3 will make before settling for a longer stay. BTW, I don’t even know if Gaston hit him at all. It seemed more like a dive one tree height too low. Bullet or panic, Gaston will claim either.
Wulfe, 48 hour pass? What’s that? Is that something you get when you fly in the rain and land at another aerodrome? That was one soaking wet story! I don’t know why they insist sending us up in this weather. I knew Lemoire was a barrel of laughs.
Lederhosen, just stick to bombing the trenches. Leave the Nieuports to the capable Eindeckers. Jeez, why would anybody want to fly a Fokker, when they could fly a Roland?
Lou, is it me or is Swany’s accent getting thicker? Can’t wait for the monoplane showdown.
Scout, hopefully once over at Abelee you’ll get to see more action. Fingers crossed.

10 April, 1916 05:20 morning mission
Senard, Verdun Sector
Escadrille N37
Lieutenant Gaston A. Voscadeaux
13 confirmed kills

His single burst kill was confirmed this morning. There was one more thing. Gaston was called into the C.O.'s office. Le Capitaine announced that he had been promoted to the rank of Lieutenant.
"- It is difficult and most dangerous missions for you now. You will take Dagonet with you and take out the balloon south of Jametz. Bonne chance!"
The morning sun played hide and seek among the clouds as Gaston and Dagonet raced each other to the front lines.

[Linked Image]

They formed up above the trenches and proceeded along the predetermined route.

[Linked Image]

The morning mist grew thicker as they flew east and ended up flying through a cloud burst. On the other side the balloon was waiting for them. Gaston went low, while Dagonet attacked from above. Le Prieur rockets screamed as they left the struts of Violette and found their target, but it wasn't enough to bring it down. Then Dagonet made his attack from above and the rockets hit the balloon again. The gas bag hung defiantly in the air, but Gaston was already turning back for a machine gun attack. Round after round ripped into the fabric. As Voscadeaux passed it and looked back, he could see black smoke emanate from it, then flames begun to lick the big sausage and finally a huge explosion consumed the entire apparatus.

With the mission accomplished Gaston and his wingman turned back. The duo was about to cross the front lines back to the French side when they noticed two specks fly above. Dagonet continued back to base with some damage, while Voscadeaux peeled off and chased after the Huns. He has not had his morning Fokker yet. The dots continued to grow in front of Gaston's aeroplane. Eventually he had been discovered and one of the Eindekkers detached from the formation and faced him. So, it is a duel then. Gaston tracked the German's movements and in the final instant before the merge sent a volley into him. The Boche pilot went into a turn to avoid the fire while Gaston took advantage and placed Violette on his tail. He kept hammering and could see debris fall off the Fokker, but monoplane refused to fall. Gaston was on his final bullets when the Eindeckker's prop stopped and the pilot was struggling to keep his machine level.

[Linked Image]

He glided to the ground and let his plane be stopped by the roadside hedges. They were near Jametz and Voscadeaux, freshly out of ammo, decided there was no point sticking around anymore.
He parked his purple Bebe next to Dagonet's green and brown one and made his way to the mess hall. He was still hungry.

10 April, 1916 13:40 afternoon mission
Senard, Verdun Sector
Escadrille N37
Lieutenant Gaston A. Voscadeaux
13 confirmed kills
Waiting for 2 claim confirmations

The assignment for this afternoon was to patrol friendly front lines north of Senard, where Aisne River crosses into NML. The miserable weather from the east arrived over Senard. Grey rain clouds stretched as far as eye could see and because of them, they couldn’t see very far. Finally, after reaching the altitude of 2,000 meters the clouds relented and blue skies could be had above. Gaston couldn't decide if he hated more the Hun hiding in the sun, or the one hiding in the clouds. They didn't see either. The Boche had probably decided to remain hidden. After the allotted patrol time elapsed, Gaston and his wingman Caporal Garrigou descended back into the gray muck of sunless Senard.

Attached Files 1916-04-10 AM1.jpg1916-04-10 AM2.jpg1916-04-10 AM3.jpg

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."