“Hello stranger!” Gwilym Lewis declared with a smile. “Long time no see... I say, 'no see.' Hahaha!”
William Stanley stood in the entrance of the hangar with a pained expression.
“What's that?” asked a pilot that Stanley hadn't seen before.
Stanley replied with a curt nod in the Welshman's direction. “Lieutenant Lewis is making a jest at my expense. I was sent home with an eye infection. Couldn't see. Couldn't fly. It took me over a month to persuade the doctors that I could come back. Meanwhile, Lewis has not become any more amusing; I see. How does it go Bill?”

“It has been good. We had a record week leading into October, and then it has been dud weather ever since. I'm glad it has cleared up for you. Are you back?”

“Sadly not. I'm waiting in the pilots' pool. What's with Curphey?”

Curphey was running from the direction of the squadron office toward them.
“Huns!” He cried. “Spotted heading our way!”
“Well!” Lewis declared, “let's go and get them!”
“Mind if I tag along?” Stewart asked. He didn't wait for an answer before he started for one of the DH2s.

Two Rolands were within sight even as the DH2s clambered into the sky. One remained high, but the other dived down.
“This one fancies himself a champion eh?” Stanley thought to himself.
The DH2s of Stanley, Curphey, Lewis and Robb curved around to attack the two seater. The Roland was a fearsome fighting machine and the gunner was a danger. The four British pushers swarmed the machine and Stanley put in a burst at about 70 yards.

To his surprise the Roland's engine began to smoke and the German machine went into a dive that ended with a high speed collision with the trees lining the road north west of Vert Galand junction.

“I didn't expect that!” Stanley muttered in astonishment.

There was much celebration through the afternoon at 32 squadron. Parts of the Roland were brought into the officers' mess as decorations. In the reports, Stanley claimed a partial share with Lewis and Curphey.

On returning to St Omer, Stanley was greeted with several messages.
He tossed the letter addressed in Diana's hand away without opening it, but focussed on the telegram.

“Acting Captain WAG Stanley promoted to full Captain. To proceed to 60 squadron immediately.”

Stanley looked thoughtfully at the message.
“60? what do they fly?”

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Statistics as of 31st October 1916

Captain William A G Stanley
no medals
114 missions 114.92 hours active duty
5 confirmed victories (including that Roland) 11 claims
60 Squadron RFC Savy