Lou, something must be in the air. Have a look at Gaston's next report and you'll be the judge.

23 February , 1916 8:12
Senard, Verdun Sector
Escadrille N37
Sergent Gaston A. Voscadeaux

This morning Gaston was reading in Le Figaro that some crazy pilot was flying over the front performing aerobatic stunts in the new plane that he had painted in French colours. This show, albeit dangerous, was a great morale boost for Les Poilus below. Voscadeaux thought that if he'd ever get permission, he would also paint his plane.
It appears today’s mission will be conducted again near Meuse River. Army brass was so impressed with yesterday's fire directing that they’ve requested another outing today again, specifically asking for the same flight team as before. Unfortunately Cpl. Mondeme was not available to accompany Gaston this morning, but the C.O. wanted to make a lasting impression and in his stead sent Cpl. Papinet and Clp. Dreux. More snow was expected later in the day, so an early mission was recommended.
It seemed like a bad dream to Gaston when he witnessed the two buffoons nearly collided with one another when trying to form up behind him. There are two of them and they're just as bad as Cpl. Mondeme.

[Linked Image]

They were lucky again today. Somehow they were able to sneak by without attracting attention of the Fokkers, which certainly were patrolling the nearby area. The heavy, snow-laden clouds had something to do with that.
Gaston gave enough time Roze to make his observations and note everything before returning home, where the expectant C.O. was pacing the snow covered grass of the airfield. It is not often that the Army notices the work of a reconnaissance escadrille. And with the Boche monoplanes harassing all observation aeroplanes in the vicinity it is a miracle to provide useful intelligence for the headquarters. Perhaps there will be a citation for the squadron?

Attached Files 1916-02-23 Near Collision.jpg

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."