Lou, that was an exciting adventure. Dangerous yet exciting. I had the James Bond theme going in my head while I was reading about Captain Craig's escapade. Hope you get this one confirmed. With so many witnesses it's a jamesbond

15 February , 1916 8:09
Senard, Verdun Sector
Escadrille N37
Sergent Gaston A. Voscadeaux

We had a new man arrive today. Not just any man. A Chinaman! Yes, Caporal Etienne Tsu. He was born in Shanghai, but gets annoyed when asked if he’d ever been shanghaied. Of course, everyone had seen Charles Chaplin in “Shanghaied” last year at the moving pictures and the jokes kept coming in. Someone even brought a mallet.

[Linked Image]

Etienne was very patient and explained to Gaston that it is better to ignore such japes than to get carried away and get upset. Voscadeaux thought it was a wise approach. Let them get it out of their system. He found out Etienne came to France in 1890 to study mechanical engineering which was paid for by his father Nicolas, who was a banker. He graduated from the School of Mechanics of Lille in 1903 and returned home to conduct research in the field of shipbuilding and later automobile industry. In 1911 his interests shifted towards airplanes and he returned to France in 1913 to learn to fly. He was licensed a year later and joined the French Foreign Legion when the war broke out. He then enlisted in the military school and received his military pilot license #1968 in November. He then attended the scout school in December and finally spent some time at RGA before being posted to N37. Gaston was fascinated by his story and hoped one day to fly alongside the Asian pilot.

[Linked Image]

For now it would be Sous Lieutenant Nathaniel Roze as his observer again as Durand developed a nasty cough and requested leave to recuperate. It would be arty spotting north of Chalons. The day was just as unpleasant as so many before it. Heavy clouds and rain. Gaston hoped to gain enough altitude to break through to the sunny side, but the clouds kept on persisting. They have made a few passes over the target but the visibility was so terrible that even the largest of explosions would remain obscured. The good news was that because of all the clouds they’ve remained invisible to the anti-aircraft artillery. Not a single shell of Flak was lobbed at them. Every cloud has a silver lining.

Attached Files Shanghaied.pngIMG_1146.JPG

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."