1 June, 1916 04:40 morning mission
Senard, Verdun Sector
Escadrille N37
Capitaine Gaston A. Voscadeaux
34 confirmed kills

The weather finally improved and the sodden turf that was their airfield once again was usable. The Fokker on fire from a few days ago was confirmed but even better news was that the new airplanes have arrived as promised. Yes, it has been exactly 2 weeks since OBD made their promise of new machines. The new bird was an improved Bebe. Nieuport 16 - the mechanics called it La Bête (The Beast). At first glance Gaston couldn’t tell the difference and thought the C.O. was having a laugh at his expense and had to be shown that it had a larger wing and a bigger engine to pull it along. Gaston liked the new camouflage and decided to leave it the way it was. He was never fond of the tan dope and decided to cover it with his signature purple, thus all lower surfaces had to be repainted. He was also fond of the vulture painted on the side of the fuselage. It was Capitaine Feierstein’s idea to add it to Gaston’s mount. Gaston thought it to be an appropriate warning to all the Huns and simply added a V beside it to mark it as his own. Perhaps one day it will become the escadrille’s insignia?
The morning mission was a patrol of enemy front lines, west of Bechamps. There were no Boches anywhere in sight to test the new plane. Gaston’s first impression of the new Violette was an incredibly loud engine and terrible rearward view due to a protruding headrest. Th baptism of fire will have to be postponed.

[Linked Image]

1 June, 1916 12:55 afternoon mission
Senard, Verdun Sector
Escadrille N37
Capitaine Gaston A. Voscadeaux
34 confirmed kills

Afternoon mission took the ‘B’ flight over Sivry aerodrome to patrol the skies above. Still no contact. Still getting used to the new machine. Still no blood.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 1916-06-01 AM.jpg1916-06-01 PM.jpg

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."