Jasta 18
26 January 1917, Halluin 18:34

- "We were outnumbered and height disadvantaged." Was Aldi's answer when Oberleutnant Grieffenhagen asked for report.
- "Herr Oberleutnant, after you've left the formation with what I assume was engine trouble, Ltn von Bülow, Ltn Strähle and I continued to Ghistelles on our patrol.

[Linked Image]

Once we arrived on station we were ambushed by a flight of Nieuports coming out of the clouds above us. I was hit on the first pass and had to keep the rudder full to port to stay level. Both Leutenants were doing great job of keeping the enemy off my six as I was trying to reach the safety of the antiaircraft artillery of the aerodrome below. One of the Nieuports blew by me heading for the deck and I was able to send a burst his way, but I don't know if any of it found its mark. He kept going west and that was the last I saw of him.

[Linked Image]

By the time I landed, Strähle and von Bülow were on their final approach as well, all with minor damage. We had our machines stitched up and returned back home for dinner."
- "Very well, Offizierstellvertreter." Oberleutnant was puffing his pipe. - "There is one more thing. I've noticed you started work on your personal insignia..."
- "Yes, Herr Oberleutnant. It is not finished by any means, but..." Aldi begun explaining but Grieffenhagen cut him off. - "Don't bother. Albatros D.III's are grounded. IdFlieg's orders. Tomorrow we'll be receiving replacements."
- "Oh boy! We're getting Albatros D.IV's? So soon?" Aldi's excitement was swelling.
- "What? No! There is no such thing! We'll be getting our old D.II's back." Grieffenhagen didn't look pleased with this announcement, while Schwarzkopf appeared to be frozen in time with his mouth wide open, trying to make some sort of a sound.
Oberleutnant continued, - "The good news is that since you have never flown your own D.II, you will be getting my old mount. It served me well, so take care of her."
- "But Herr Oberleutnant, we stand no chance in these relics!" Aldi protested. - "We were mauled in much better machines on our last mission!"
Grieffenhagen looked at Aldi the way he always did when he needed to make a point. - "If you prefer, Offizierstellvertreter Schwarzkopf, we can arrange to assign you one of the Halberstads we keep in the back of the hangar."
- "No Herr Oberleutnant, Albatros will do just fine!" Grieffenhagen's point made its way home.
- "Dismissed."
Aldi saluted and left the office.

Attached Files Shot05-21-17-08-33-18.jpgShot05-21-17-08-40-28.jpg

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."