Journal Entry: September 9, 1916
St. Pol-sur-Mer

Well, I finally met the new Hun machines that everyone has been talking about and to be quite honest, I wasn't impressed. For weeks the lads have been speculating about the new Fokker machines that were supposed to be arriving, and yet, no one had actually seen one of the new scouts. I had the pleasure of bagging one in this morning's sortie and another in the afternoon sortie. As I said, I came away from those encounters unconvinced that the new Fokker is significantly better than the Fokker monoplanes. Granted, two wings are obviously better than one, but it seemed to me that it was considerably under-powered and as far as I could tell, was only armed with one machine gun. Of course, the two pilots that I engaged today could have been inexperienced and unable to maximize the full potential of this new machine, but I remain unconvinced. The Roland, as far as I can tell, is the only machine that gives us Pup pilots a handful. The Roland is a machine that will teach one a very painful lesson if one is not careful. I am certain that the Huns will eventually develop a scout that will test our Pups, but in the meantime, I will continue to enjoy our mastery of the sky.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC