1st Lt. John B. Goode
147th Aero Squadron, USAS

Sunday, October 6th 1918

Squadron did six alert patrols today. One was a balloon strafing run, Bedroll set it on fire.

In the afternoon I led an alert. Poor visibility, but we found them over Montfoucon, 4 Hannovers. There was no sun to put at out backs so we went straight into them. Two were flamed in the first pass, Willard and Herron.

They broke up after that, one running for home and two others turning to fight. I chased the runner. Kept down below him about 200 yards. In the poor visibility he didn’t get wind of me. When I was almost directly under the Hun I pulled the stick back to come up close, standing almost on my tail. Blasted away, couldn’t miss. I came up so close I could almost touch the beast, the observer was slumped over in the back pew.

Knowing now that I had a clear field I banked back in for the kill. Threw curses at him along with the bullets. I fired until the crate lit up, burning like Dewey had burned. I was shaking with anger all over as I watched it fall.

Saw 3 Fokkers above me on my way home, looking for a chance to bite. I had to fight the temptation to let them try but I’m glad to say I’m not that eaten up…yet. I dove for home and left them in the dust.

2nd Lt. William E. ‘Bedroll’ Brotherton – C Flight, 3 aerial victories, KIA 10 Oct 1918

2nd Lt. George G. Willard -B Fight

1st Lt. James P. Herron – B Flight, 1 aerial victory credited [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Attached Files John eta.jpgJohn eva.jpgJohn evb.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 10/06/18 08:28 PM.