Originally Posted by Banjoman
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The sound of a lone engine wakes me from my paper work induced slumber. It is one of our Camels returning from some errand and by the sound of its Clerget, all seems to be in order. After the usual blipping, I hear the engine cease it whining and silence returns once again to my office. Not long after, ashen faced and still in his flight gear, Flight Commander Sinclair bursts through my office door without even a thought as to knocking. "Jack, blast it all man, what is the meaning of this", I exclaimed! It was at that moment I realize that he is alone and before he can answer my query, I ask another. "Where is the new man?" He was obviously shaken, so I pour him a glass of brandy and he downs it in one swallow. When he catches his breath, he quietly says, "The new man is dead!" "What, what happened", I said? "Can't anyone on this bloody aerodrome follow my orders? You were given specific orders that under no circumstances were you to allow him to get anywhere near the front. My God man, he was just a boy." The color rose in Jack's cheeks and I feared that I had pushed the man too hard, but he swallowed, took a deep breath, and began to tell his story. "You see sir, it was like this", he began. "I took the lad down around St. Omer just so he could get comfortable with the area. All at once and out of the sun, one of those damned black tails dove on us. I saw it in time, or I wouldn't be here talking to you, but the poor lad either never saw me turn away or was confused by my maneuver. The poor sod just kept flying along and so the Hun had an easy time of it and filled him with lead. The bloody Hun kept in his dive and by the time I had completed my maneuver, he was halfway home. So since there was nothing I could do, I returned home." Good, solid Jack, I could see that he was terribly shaken up by the event and so I thanked him for his report and reminded him to include all of this information in his written report. After he had quietly shut the door, I could contain my frustration no longer. I grabbed the nearest thing, which happened to be Jack's brandy glass and threw it across the room. "What the blazes am I going to say to his parent's? He hadn't even been here for 24 hours", I exclaimed! The anger died as quickly as it arrived and I moaned, "I hate this bloody, bloody war."

Good stuff Banjoman thumbsup

Regards,

Jeff

WOFF:UE Computer Specs and set-up:
Homebuilt Computer!
Intel i5-3570k mildly overclocked to 3.8ghz
AsRock Z75 mobo
Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB (EVGA one fan version)
16 GB RAM
42 inch Sharp Aquos LCD TV with 120hz refresh
Very old (over 20 years now) Aiwa Receiver/Amplifier
Very old giant stereo speakers with newer sub-woofer
Very old Logitech Wingman joystick with two buttons and a throttle slider
Very old CH Thurstmaster analog footpedals
Manhattan analog/USB converter
W10