Journal Entry: November 4, 1915
St. Pol-sur-Mer

I believe that Roderic and I have successfully figured out how to attack the new Aviatiks with a minimum of risk. The trick is to approach from below and behind, it appears that even dead astern is safe from their guns. During my last four victories, I approached from below and slid into position dead astern and I received no fire from the observer. Of course, if the pilot sees you approaching and begins evasive maneuvers then you will have to rethink your options. Here are some photos of my last four victories.

One other important note, it appears the observer is still sitting in front of the pilot which makes attacking the pilot from the rear a viable strategy and one that almost certainly assures victory in the engagement.

On a sadder note, we lost Larry today. He didn't die due to either Archie or any enemy action, he died because of a bloody engine fire. I felt certain we were over these when we transitioned into the Nieuports, but apparently it is beginning again. He was a good chap and made a great wingman, I will surely miss him.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC