Sgt Alan Smith
11 June 1915

After surviving eleven days, Sgt. Smith died. He and his observer were assigned to lead a deep reconnaissance mission over a German airfield, ten miles across the lines. Upon arrival at the front lines, his wingman aborted due to a probable engine problem. The intrepid Sgt. Smith pressed on and arrived 8000 feet over the German airfield without incident. Almost immediately, though, things went south. His engine rpms began to drop, and wisely choosing the better part of valor, began to head home. Although the engine RPMs continued to drop, he was able to keep his airspeed up, by nursing his engine and trading a bit of altitude for speed. He made the front lines without any further incident, crossing them at about 6000 feet. However, the RPMs continued to drop, and it looked like he would not be able to make any airfields. He and his observer spied a nice level and long field that allowed an approach into the wind and set up the landing. Despite this, Sgt. Smith stalled his BE 2c 100 feet above the ground and crashed, killing him and his observer.

{In fact, what happened is my kid came in when I was on final and asked me a question. Distracted, I stalled the aircraft.)

Last edited by Combs; 06/15/15 12:35 AM.

No man commands safely unless he has learned well how to obey.