Journal Entry: July 11, 1915
St. Pol-sur-Mer

Woke up to a splitting headache and could hardly move, now I remember why I very seldom partake of alcohol. After splashing copious amounts of water on my face, over my head and just about anywhere I could reach, I drug myself to mess to scrounge up a cup of tea. Upon arrival I spotted Thayer just as chipper as a young lad, sometimes I have no idea what makes that man tick. Anyway, after some toast and tea I was feeling much more like myself and I learned that we had an easy day scheduled for today. The CO informed the two of us that we were going to do another run around the area to make sure our bus was rigged properly and everything was in order. That was sweet music to my ears and it wasn't long before we were in the air. It is amazing how the brisk, clean air of flying will clear one's head. We were heading out over the channel to climb to our operating altitude when I head a very distinct rumbling sound, not unlike thunder. I turned and blast it all, those Huns were bombing our airfield again. I quickly looked up and located the offending Huns, signaled Thayer and began to climb. It wasn't until we were just a little east of Dunkerque that I was finally able to get into our attacking position and Thayer with his usual efficiency made quick work of one of the Huns.

We were unable to bring down the second Hun because he was able to slink back across the lines before we could catch him. We turned for home and it wasn't long before I was landing, of course, everyone wanted to know if I had gotten either of those two Huns, and I assured them that we got one of them. At lunch, Thayer and I were discussing the morning's events and we came to the conclusion that we don't know if the Huns are incredibly brave or incredibly stupid. How many of these Huns must we kill before they stop coming? We've shot down thirteen planes and yet they still come, we wondered if maybe we put some kind of marking on our plane to tell the Huns who they are dealing with. We asked the CO and he gave his permission, now all we need is some kind of symbol that will strike fear in the heart of the Huns. I told Thayer that he could decide what the symbol should be, so I'm sure it will be something outlandish.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC