News of the World for Warbirds Rising - August 1915:

August 1
The Galata bridge in Constantinople harbour was destroyed by British submarines.
August 3
The Second Battle of Isonzo ended with no strategic result as both sides ran out of artillery ammunition.
Russian forces evacuated Van in Armenia.
August 4
Russian troops evacuated Warsaw but took up defensive positions on the north side of the Vistula River.
August 5
After the Russian withdrawal the Germans occupied Warsaw in Poland.
August 6
The Battle of Sari Bair (also known as the August Offensive) began - the last and unsuccessful attempt by the British to seize the Gallipoli peninsula from the Ottoman Empire.
August 7
Heavy fighting continued in the Battle of Sari Bair. British troops were supported by New Zealand and Australian troops.
August 8
The Turkish battleship Barbaros Hayreddin was sunk by the British submarine E11 in the Dardanelles.
August 9
British troops recaptured the trenches at Hooge.
August 10
A surprise Turkish counterattack from Sari Bair on Gallipoli forced the Allies to withdraw.
The German Zeppelin L12 was damaged by aircraft fire during a raid on Dover in the English Channel.
August 12
A British torpedo-carrying seaplane took off from HMS Ben-my-Chree and sank a Turkish supply ship in the Sea of Marmara.
A British advance at Suvla towards the Tekke Tepe Hills was repulsed by the Turks in the Gallipoli Campaign.
August 13
The passenger ship HMT Royal Edward was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine UB-14 in the Aegean Sea.
August 15
The National Register was taken in Britain.
August 16
Lowca and Harrington near Whitehaven in Cumberland were shelled by a German submarine.
August 17
The city of Kovno on the Eastern Front fell to Austro-German forces.
August 19
The German battle cruiser SMS Moltke was torpedoed by British submarine E1 in the Gulf of Riga.
August 20
British airmen destroyed a German submarine off Ostend, Belgium.
August 21
The Battle of Scimitar Hill in the Gallipoli Campaign, which ended in another strategic failure, was the final British offensive in the Dardanelles.
Italy declared war on Turkey.
August 22
Ossowietz in northern Poland was stormed by German forces.
August 23
British warships bombarded German positions at Zeebrugge and Knocke on the Belgian coast.
August 25
German occupying forces established a Polish government in Warsaw. General Hans Hartwig von Beseler was named Governor General.
August 26
German forces occupied the fort of Olita on Niemen and captured Byelostok and Brest-Litovsk in Poland.
August 27
Johann Heinrich von Bernstorff notified Secretary of State Robert Lansing that, "full satisfaction" would be given to the United States for the sinking of the ocean liner SS Arabic on 19 August.
August 29
A combined British, Anzac and Gurkha force failed to take Hill 60 at Suvla.
August 30
The British Government agreed that the Allies could guarantee eventual freedom and self-determination of Bosnia, Herzegovina, South Dalmatia, Slavonia and Croatia, provided Serbia agreed.

(From The Great War - Unseen Archives by Robert Hamilton)

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."