Thanks for the news, Fullofit! And thank you for all your reports, everybody. I've enjoyed reading them. It's just as fun as the DID flying itself! I've learned to like these DID campaigns so much that I don't even fly my other pilots much anymore. They just don't feel the same. smile

The Diary of August Ege.

6.XI.1915 Metz-Frescaty.

I have now become fully accustomed to the life of a military aviator here at Frescaty. Compared to Kraftwagen-Park 5, we have a smaller but very tightly knit community here. There are six pilots and six observers and about a company's worth of ground personnel making sure that all our flying operations go as smoothly as possible.

I have befriended my observer, Oberleutnant Andreas Balthazar. He's a Prussian, but quite unlike you'd think those people are, if you were to believe all the gossip and popular stories about them. Balthazar is a very friendly chap and we get along splendidly. He seems to be greatly amused by my Schwäbisch accent; if he thinks we Stuttgarters speak in a funny way, he should travel to the small country villages of Württemberg to listen how people pronounce German there! The Fliegertruppen bring together men from all over the Reich, so it's easier to meet people from different regions than in most other branches of service.

We have been flying a lot of reconnaissance missions to the Verdun Salient recently. The French have big forts there and our commanders seems to be quite interested in the layout of their defenses. One could almost suspect that something big is planned to take place here soon, but then it's always hard to say what exactly the great warlords are thinking. We just do as we're told and learn the details later, provided that there is anything to learn!

Fort Douaumont before the heavy bombardments of the Battle of Verdun.

Last edited by Hasse; 03/05/16 12:00 PM.

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps