The Diary of August Ege.

20.XI.1915. Frescaty-Metz.

Rain, sleet, snow and strong winds have made it practically impossible to fly more than two missions this week, so we've had lots of time to polish our machines and refine our tactics, and of course kill time in the cafés and restaurants of beautiful Metz! This is a privilege the men in the trenches don't have. I admit it makes me feel a bit guilty to have such a nice time (if not luxurious) while there's a war going on, but that is the nature of our service in the Fliegertruppen.

Leutnant Engel came back from the Festungslazarett Metz yesterday. He seems to have recovered from the accident and the loss of Deutschmann well enough to be able to fly again, but it's obvious that he's no longer the same man he used to be before the tragic crash. I hope he will get over it, but it must be easier said than done. Hauptmann Stelzer told us to keep an eye on Engel and see how he manages things - if it seems like he's not ready to fly combat missions yet, Stelzer intends to send him on a leave of recovery. We can't afford to have people here who are unable to give their best to the war effort. The harsh laws of war!

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps