News of the World for Warbirds Rising - September 1915:

September 1
The German Government accepted the United States' demands for limitation of submarine activity.
September 2
On the Eastern Front German forces captured Grodno and attacked Vilna.
September 3
The Second Battle of the Isonzo ended with an Austro-Hungarian victory over Italian forces.
September 4
The British passenger ship Hesperian was torpedoed by German submarine U-20 near Fastnet off the Irish coast.
September 5
Tsar Nicholas II took personal control of Russia's armies at the military headquarters In Mogilev (Mahilyow) in Eastern Belarus.
September 6
US newspapers published secret documents reporting that Austrian Ambassador Dr Konstantin Dumba was involved in a scheme to sabotage the American munitions industry.
September 7
Russian troops began a counter-offensive on the Sereth River at Tarnopol in Galicia.
September 8
Two Zeppelins successfully attacked London, dropping bombs on the docks of the capital city.
September 9
American Secretary of State Robert Lansing requested that the Austro-Hungarian government recall its ambassador Dr Konstantin Dumba as his presence was no longer acceptable.
September 10
Four Allied warships rescued more than 4,000 Armenians from Musa Dagh in Armenia and took them to Port Said in Egypt where they remained in Allied refugee camps until the end of the war.
September 12
The three-masted Norwegian sailing ship Bien was sunk in the North Sea by German submarine U-6.
September 13
Following another Zeppelin raid on London, Admiral Sir Percy Scott was tasked by the First Lord of the Admiralty Arthur Balfour to establish the London Air Defense Area to defend England's capital city from the increasing threat of air attack.
September 15
German submarine U-6 was attacked and sunk by British submarine HMS E16 off Stavanger in Norway.
September 16
German troops captured Pinsk in Belarus on the Eastern Front.
September 18
German forces capture Vilna (now Vilnius) but suffered heavy casualties.
September 19
The Gorlice-Tarnow Offensive ended when the Russian lines collapsed and the Russian troops retreated.
September 21
The Bulgarian government ordered a partial mobilization of its forces.
Greek Premier Eleftherios Venizelos asked for a guarantee of 150,000 British and French troops as a condition of Greece's intervention in the war.
September 22
French airmen dropped bombs on the Royal Palace at Stuttgart in Germany.
September 23
The Greek Government ordered precautionary mobilization as a "measure of elementary prudence" in view of Bulgarian actions.
September 24
The French and British Governments informed the Greeks that they would be prepared to send the troops requested.
September 25
The Great Allied Offensive focused on Loos and Champagne when the British 1st Army, commanded by General Douglas Haig, attacked German positions at the start of the Battle of Loos.
September 26
General Sir Archibald James Murray was appointed Chief of the Imperial General Staff replacing Sir James Wolfe-Murray who had resigned the previous day.
September 27
Greek premier Venizelos obtained the secret consent of King Constantine I to the proposed Allied expedition to Salonika.
September 28
Austrian Ambassador Dr Dumba was recalled from the United States.
The Greek Government refused the Allied offer of troops.
September 29
French troops attacked in Champagne and progressed towards Tahure on the Western Front.
September 30
Lord Derby assumed responsibility for recruiting in Britain.

(From The Great War - Unseen Archives by Robert Hamilton)

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."