Warbirds Rising - News of the World for November:

November 1
French forces recaptured Fort Vaux near Verdun.
November 4
The Ninth Battle of the Isonzo ended with a limited Italian advance. 1916 had seen five Isonzo operations on top of four undertaken the previous year.
November 5
Germany and Austria declared an "Independent State of Poland".
Although the Battle of Le Transloy officially ended on 18 November, a final attack was made without success. The battle ended with no significant gain along the Transloy Ridge.
November 6
In the Sudan operations against the ex-Sultan of Darfur resulted in his defeat and death near the frontier of Wadai at the Affair of Gyuba.
November 7
Woodrow Wilson was re-elected as President of the United States of America.
November 8
The American Steamer Columbian was sunk by German submarine U-49 near Cape Finisterre.
November 9
An aerial battle took place between British and German aeroplanes near Bapaume in northern France.
November 11
The Battle of the Ancre Heights ended with a British victory over German forces.
November 12
British forces occupied Shiraz in Persia.
November 13
In the final significant phase of the Battle of the Somme, the Battle of the Ancre saw a renewal of the Allied offensive; British troops finally captured Beaumont Hamel.
November 15
An Inter-Allied conference was held in Paris to discuss ways to counter German mobilisation of Belgians and Poles.
November 16
The Battle of Targu-Jiu began in Romania.
November 17
Germans broke through the Romanian front at the Battle of Targu-Jiu in the Jiu Valley.
November 18
After four-and-a-half months of fighting the Battle of the Somme ended with enormous losses on both sides. Allied forces had pushed back the German line but the offensive cost more than 1 million casualties.
November 19
French and Serbian forces captured Monastir in Serbia.
The Entente Governments presented another ultimatum to King Konstantinos of Greece demanding that all representatives of the Central Powers be expelled.
November 20
German diplomat Gottlieb von Jagow resigned as German Foreign Minister.
November 21
German forces occupied Craiova in Romania on the Eastern Front.
The British Hospital Ship HMHS Britannic sank after hitting a German mine in the Aegean Sea.
Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria died and was succeeded by his great-nephew Charles I.
November 22
German and Austrian forces captured Orsova in Hungary.
November 23
The British hospital ship Braemar Castle was damaged after hitting a mine in the Aegean Sea.
The Provisional Greek Government at Salonika declared war on Bulgaria and Germany.
November 24
Boris Sturmer resigned as Russian Premier and Foreign Minister was succeeded by Alexander Trepov as Premier.
November 26
A German naval raid took place on Lowestoft on the east coast of England during which the naval trawler HMT Narval was sunk.
November 27
Two Zeppelins were shot down during a German airship raid on Hartlepool and Great Yarmouth on the east coast of England.
November 28
The first German daylight aeroplane raid on London took place. The Germans hoped that by making raids on London and the South East, the British Air Force would be forced into protecting the home front rather than attacking the German Air Force.
November 29
David Beatty was appointed to replace Admiral Sir John Jellicoe as Commander of the Grand Fleet.
November 30
Allied forces began disembarking at Piraeus in Greece.

(From The Great War - Unseen Archives by Robert Hamilton)

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."