Journal Entry: July 29, 1916
St. Pol-sur-Mer

It has been eight days since our top pilots have been assigned the Pup and I can say without any reservations that this aeroplane has drastically changed how C Squadron is performing. When I assumed command of C Squadron, the squadron consisted of a group of men fulfilling their duties but nothing more. When we switched to a purely pursuit squadron and then added the Pups that was when I noticed a change in the attitude and demeanor of the men. Now the men seem to be more aggressive and confident, even the pilots not flying the Pups. I must say that having a machine that is far and away superior to anything the enemy possesses does tend to make one confident and aggressive. The added benefit is that even the pilots not flying the Pup feel a boost of confidence just by flying with the Pups. One last word about the difference the Pup has made, we have had these machines for eight days and in that time we have destroyed ten Hun machines that should be all that needs to be said.

An interesting thing happened today as we were returning from a line patrol over near Dunkerque. We had just flown past Dunkerque when I spotted two aeroplanes above us and approaching from the west. I didn’t recognize the shape of these machines and that made me suspicious and so I gave the signal to pursue. We began to climb and before long one of the machines turned to engage us. These were Huns for sure, but the aeroplanes they were flying were unlike any I have seen before. It appeared that the fuselage filled the space between the upper and lower planes thereby giving the pilot and the observer a wonderful field of vision above, but not so much below and forward. What was probably the most startling was that this two-seater was attacking us. In this situation that could have turned ugly, the Pup showed its worth. After the initial shock of seeing this strange craft, I was able to quickly get on its tail and send it crashing into the sea. After landing, we learned that this strange bird is called a Roland C.II and the Huns are just now starting to replace the worn out Aviatiks with this newer machine. The Pup has once again proved it is the superior aeroplane, even besting the Huns brand new design.

I’ve included a few photographs of my successes with the Pup. I regret that I was not able to get a photograph of the Roland, but I imagine I will be seeing them again.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC