Originally Posted by cichlidfan
I like music while I walk as well but I don't keep much on my phone and I have also found that the music alters my pace. When I read it is just a routine of left foot, right foot, repeat as needed and am able to keep my ears tuned into the surroundings which, so far, keeps me from getting hit by cars and and other potential mishaps.

I was thinking about this yesterday and you're right, music sets your walking pace. On most songs, I either keep in step with a song's beat (time signature?), step with every other beat (moving slower) or take two steps for every beat (moving faster), depending on the song and my mood. I can see where this would be irritating for some but for me, music motivates me to take those steps in the first place. I have to tune out my surroundings (and sometimes discomfort) and focus on the music to put forth any real effort. I can take a nice nature or conversational walk at a slower pace, but I'm talking about brisk walking or jogging at longer distances. This doesn't come natural to me.

I know it sounds cheesy, but I often listen to mid-80's Rush when endurance walking or jogging (Rush with a steady beat, usually a mix of "Grace Under Pressure" and "A Show Of Hands" concert CDs), visualizing that I'm a tired Neil Peart and have to get through a show. Just a couple more songs or so to go (~5 min. each), I can make it. Encore, just one more song! Well, it works for me. smile

Regarding surroundings and mishaps, this is why we choose walking/running paths and tracks (we have 3 to choose from, plus a college campus). No skaters or cyclers to worry about either, only people (usually grooving to their own tunes).

I'm finding Genesis has some *excellent* longer steady-paced songs in their discography, perfect for the track.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run