Originally Posted By: MarkG
Originally Posted By: PFunk
My wife and I...

YES! thumbsup The recipe for success right there (if you're married). Living a healthy lifestyle is a HUGE thing to have in common, IMO. You make wise decisions together and you occasionally agree to splurge together (and without feeling guilty about it), but mostly you help keep each other in check.

Sunday...I'm sampling the many desserts at a family reunion, I sit my paper plate down across from her at the table. Instead of a scornful look or look of disinterest, I get a warm smile and a look that reminds me not to #%&*$# this thing up we have going. I had no intention of sharing my desserts but that's what I did, she hadn't eaten any yet so we split a good portion of it. Afterward, I realized I was better off not eating the entire plate by myself anyway.

A small example of support, but it adds up.

We're about to start adding some strength training. I don't want to be Mr. Muscle, I just want to be toned up.

Even if I wanted to, I could never be dedicated enough to be a Mr. Muscle and besides, I want to be as light as possible on my knees, ankles and especially my feet. I like the idea of having a thin but solidly built physique (like Geddy Lee smile ). Even *that* may be out of reach at this point, but I'll keep trying without killing myself. I'm not going to push so hard as to risk injury or even the enjoyment of a good workout.

Especially with being thin framed and approaching 50, my wife recognizes the importance strength training plays with avoiding or delaying osteoporosis. We workout together twice a week, she'll go first. I decide on the exercises for each workout and change out the weights on the bars and dumb bells (I keep a sheet with our current weights). She'll spot my presses and then either hang out on the sofa or run the treadmill as I go through my routine.

I feel lighter, I don't jiggle when I walk and my pants are looser on me. My wife is starting to get her pre-kids body back and that has me REALLY stoked because to me, she's hot already.

smile

A woman in progress of looking and feeling better about herself is a happier woman, and one who wants to make her man happy (and vise versa). wink She'll even start wearing nice things to bed ("I like the way this material feels"). Even if it makes no difference that night it may the next morning when your t-levels are peaking and you can afford a couple of snooze taps on the alarm clock.

I actually enjoy clothes shopping with my wife, and I'm not at all embarrassed to be seen inside a Victoria's Secret or similar store/area. I can entertain myself at the dressing rooms with a paperback in-between modeling, any aggravation I keep to myself behind a smile (until I can vent here...lol. biggrin ).

Depending on individual circumstances (like how long you've been together)...

Lots of things can trigger sweet nostalgia (music, smells, activities) but when the very feel of your bodies become the trigger (like when you're holding or hugging)...
...look out! explode

Praying for the other guys in this thread or those reading and thinking, "Maybe I should try to get in a little better shape." I feel so much better and have more energy, more zip. Doesn't hurt in the bedroom, either, fellas.

Good luck, guys!

Amen. cheers

Preach, brother. And yeah, if I had Geddy Lee's build, I'd be a boss. Like tonight's snack was a little bit of Zatarain's Dirty Rice (I'm addicted to it), nine Triscuit crackers, red pepper hummus and artisan cheddar cheese cubes from HEB, and few slices of salami.

Sounds like a lot, right? Except when you compare the contents to all the prepackaged crap, it comes out to about 600 calories in an entire meal. My exercise workout today earned 300 of it. I have rediscovered how much I love hummus and thank God it's low cal. Eat slow, chew slow. Taste your food, you won't want or need as much.

On the soda thing, avoid them. It's just junk. Eat your calories, don't drink them. It tastes better, it is more filling, you get less hungry in between meals. Something that fixed me was San Pellegrino mineral water. A little lime and there's enough taste for me.

Guys, I'm gonna echo what Mark said, this isn't about being all ripped. This is about your pants fitting or even dropping an inch in waistline. I don't want huge muscles, I just to be wiry again. Eat what you want, just don't eat as much of it. Get outside. I don't even lift weights, I use resistance bands. Bike day is 'leg day', kayak day is 'arm day'. I'm fortunate in that I live on a lake so I can use a kayak just by walking down the hill, but anybody can buy a bicycle at Wal-Mart.

I don't recommend running. It's absolute hell on your knees and ankles, and if you're in your forties like me, you don't want that. Swim if you can, but if you can't, bike.

Mark, keep up the good work, man. Hope the wife's doing okay, heard you guys had a health scare on her recently. I'll say a prayer.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com