Thanks, Wheels. I keep putting off major upgrades, my little weight set/bench is about at max capacity (barbells, lat tower, leg lever all have weight limits) but so am I. I'd rather increase reps and sets as needed vs. adding more weight, although I'm a ways from even worrying about it.

Couple more things...

Ouch, Chucky! eek2 Hope you're doing better!

++++++++++

Stretching...

I still haven't tried a beginner's yoga class and I don't think I can get past my hang-ups about it. I'm being stupid, I know, but I don't need to be that flexible.

Wife now takes the lead with pre-workout stretching, something I've never done before (feels like a girly waste of time). I think it's making a big difference with how I feel during and especially after a workout. I can also tell when I'm going to bed that I sleep more comfortably, less tossing and turning from aches and pains.

Stretching good before a workout matters, it really does. I forgot to stretch last night and went straight to the bench (I'm missing my little workout buddy something awful). I didn't think about it until halfway through my routine so I just skipped it. Later, I couldn't lay on my right side for very long, couldn't get comfortable, although it didn't help that both dogs wanted to sleep next to me, sandwiching me in. Freggin' miserable, I think I'm going to sleep on the couch recliner tonight.

Once again, stretching beforehand matters, kinda hurts when you do it but you feel better the rest of the evening.

++++++++++

Pushing myself hard...

Can't do it anymore. Wife knows, for example, that when she's spotting me on the bench and I can't get the bar more than halfway up, she needs to pull up on it with just enough force to help me finish the rep, and maybe one or two more. I don't do this anymore, as soon as I need any assistance at all, I stop (vs. trying to finish a 3rd set of 10). My body can't take the abuse, it no longer feels good tearing myself down to the point of needing help to get the bar up, it just hurts now. Age is not just a number, you feel it.

I find that I'm having to work through more discomfort lately, nagging stuff that zaps some of the enjoyment out of it.

Last edited by MarkG; 02/27/17 03:05 AM.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run