Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
Wow Chucky, you are doing really well. Hitting the weights too?

Lieste, I keep wondering if I want to try either Kendo or HEMA for exercise... you make it sound appetizing.

Right now I have Salsa classes until end of November and I might keep the habit of going somewhere once a week to learn/practice/train.

If you have any interest in swords or mediaeval/renaissance history then you should at least try out some type of HEMA.

Kendo is very, very formal - strict rules about the postures used before/during/after cuts and specific targets. As I understand it even more so than in olympic (foil, epee, (sport) sabre) fencing in some respects. It isn't the same as Kenjitsu - which is more closely comparable to HEMA though still likely to be more 'mystical' about how the art is approached. For me that isn't too appealing.

I'd suggest looking around your area for available schools. Then do a few taster classes in the one(s) that appeal most to you (many schools have a limited amount of 'beginners' kit for people to try out, because the initial costs of entry are somewhat high (even a basic synthetic/wooden waster, gloves, mask, elbows is going to run to around 200 Euro - and basic 'fast drilling' steel longsword kit around 600 Euro - with more to permit free sparring or competition*).
You might find that you have a preference for one type of weapon over another - single handed swords are very different in handling and how they can be used than a longsword, and have the possibility to use with a parrying dagger or buckler in some traditions. I like both, and especially the differences between using a longsword (very fast movements over wide arcs, by minimal opposition of the hands on each other, lots of interesting angles the attacks and parries can come from) and a rapier (smaller movements, much slower point, but 'quicker' in some ways because of the minimal movements needed - I find it much harder work than the longsword as the whole weight of the sword is in one more or less extended hand, and the body is involved much more in lunging and other large movements of the centre of your mass - with the addition of the left hand dagger you get a different feel again, with much more rapid resolution of exchanges).

Being from Austria you might find the original source material for the German traditions more accessible - I have to rely on translation, with all the issues that that causes - I know it is an archaic form rather than modern but I still find Elizabethan English more manageable than C15th/C16th German

*The training weapons of reasonable quality are around 50/250 Euro respectively. I'd note that a nice steel feder, or rapier training sword etc, is much more fun to have, to hold and to swing around than a plastic or wooden 'sword' or a shinai. It isn't quite as nice as a 'real' sword (whether blunt or sharp), because it is made 'safe' for your training partner which is contrary to the original purpose of a sword, but many people also go on to buy sharp versions for cutting practice or (sharp/semi-sharp) for their walls.