A couple of disclaimers...

- Today (June 1st) marks my wife's 30th Anniversary with Georgia-Pacific, one of two jobs she’s ever had (the first being the grocery store she was working at when we began dating at 16). GP has been very good to us over the years and I know I’m biased with anything they’re associated with, including their corporate health care and these unprecedented changes in policy.

- Weight/size (BMI/waist measurement) can be a touchy subject and one I seldom discuss in real life except with a small group of like-minded people who have zero tolerance for Fat Acceptance and Fat Logic, only of continuing the difficult struggle. Discussing it online with people you don't know personally allows us to better speak our minds I think, and sometimes vent a little. The most important thing, and I think everyone will agree, is to never be an asshat to other people unless they do something to deserve it, which doesn't include spilling over into your seat or blocking the aisle with their mobility scooter. smile

I'll always have a food/weight problem, that demon won't just disappear after decades. And even once I acquire that 32" waist, I'm sure I'll struggle for the rest of my life to maintain it. This new health care incentive (and I look at not paying a surcharge as an incentive smile ) is just another reason for me to keep up the good fight. The more reasons the better, the biggest reason still being (no, not better sex wink ) living a pain-free life. Being obese is physically uncomfortable to painful and the hurting worsens with age.

Ok, that all said...

++++++++++

RK, the scenario you gave of a person improving themselves is covered by "2-point BMI improvement over the previous year.” For example...

Say a 5'-9" man (my height) weighs in at 300 lbs...
BMI: 44.3

To lose 2 BMI pts. in a year he'd have to lose only 14 lbs. to weight in at 286 lbs...
BMI: 42.2

The way I understand it is that he wouldn't get the incentive (BMI < 30 OR waist < 40") but he also wouldn't pay the surcharge due to his 2-point BMI improvement. [EDIT: I think now that he can get the incentive with proof of progress from a previous physical.]

++++++++++

Also you said...

"There are a lot more risk taking behaviors that put a person's health at risk than those you can see on the surface."

Yeah, like climbing Mt. Everest. biggrin But you can't ignore a problem which is visible just because some aren't.

Come on, RK. We both live in the Deep South and we know the problem is bad and only getting worse. What we need is a wide-spread change in attitude and education, enough for businesses like McDonald's and KFC to take notice (personally I prefer Popeyes).

Last edited by MarkG; 06/02/19 12:23 AM.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run