I'm 5'5"

I walk with a moderate stride but a high stride rate. Same with running. Higher stride rate, not too long a flight between steps.

I never do any treadmill or stationary bike stuff... seems too dull (and also for the same reason not anything on track). I tend to walk just to and from town, or loop around town via the countryside and footpaths/green lanes/minor roads to go to and from places I need to be. Nothing to stop a 4km walk there and back turning into a 20-40km loop, except for not always wanting to... With the longer distances you can vary the same journey, covering nearly all of the alternatives over the course of time. I map up all the more interesting ones, and then deliberately head off on the ones I've so far not managed to cover...

With the 10,000 steps thing... is that steps or double steps? I don't own a pedometer (though I do use a mapping GPS unit (actually a bicycle headunit) to record routes I don't think it's pedometer function is useful (it doesn't record the track, only the number of 'steps' taken, and I disagree with all of it's calculations as being flat out wrong for me... as well as physically non sensical). Still the track records are useful for mapping and for looking at "maximal" efforts (such as ascent of steep slopes at a max-heartrate effort - there are plenty of slopes that I can reach that while walking up around here (some 40% footpaths, and several streets at 25% plus)