You fall off the wagon, have some fun with it, then get back on it before it gets totally out of control.

Approximate damage assessment as of this morning: Me 14 lbs. (6.3 kg) and wife 5 lbs. (2.2 kg). Not the end of the world (includes lots of sodium induced bloated water weight, I'm sure) and we wanted to enjoy that one last splurge in our 40's, possibly for the last time ever as I don't see the situation of the past 3 weeks being repeated (house moving, cleaning and closing). No one's had the time or energy to cook so we've been eating most meals out. There's a restaurant only 1/4m from my parent's house called "DC Grill" and oh man do they have good poboys (fried shrimp, oysters and catfish) and onion rings.

What I learned the past 3 weeks is...

1. You *have* to eat at home. I can eat out once in a while and relatively healthy, but I can't sustain it over weeks. For example, my homemade salads rock, most fast food and restaurant salads do not. They can be as (or even more) expensive as the less healthier stuff that you have to smell while waiting for your salad. Usually it's just not worth it, and often not even healthier.

2. Once you get use to healthier eating at home, outside foods might seem too salty or sugary rich, but you quickly get use to it, and then you crave it. I'm having withdrawals right now just thinking about fried seafood and hushpuppy leftovers, sitting overnight in a styrofoam container in my refrigerator, soaking up etouffée juices. Damn. All that was missing was good homemade, slightly burnt on top, mac and cheese (even a box of Kraft would do). And a couple of Dr. Peppers.

3. When you stop working out and walking/running you start feeling lethargic, especially in the evening, even after just 3 weeks. Wife's back is becoming sore again, partially from the physical work with my parent's house, but mainly because she's not in yoga (at least once a week). She's going to have to start slowly to get back into it, been over a month now, I think. I wonder if we'll have to reduce our weights tonight when we workout for the first time in weeks. I dunno, but I plan to do more stretching than usual because my back and body aches as well. In fact, I had to take an Ibuprofen when I went to bed last night.

4. If the love life is good, even if for a long time, it can start heading down the crapper in a heartbeat. Then you become more easily irritated and start arguing over little things that you would have normally compromised on or let slide. Some extra stress maybe (for reasons why your routine was disrupted in the first place) but you start losing those feelings, just enough to notice a change. I don't like change, especially this one. So I'm happy to be getting back on the wagon, the occasional hunger pains bad cravings are worth it. But I cannot deny that having that slightly overstuffed feeling while rubbing my belly does feel awfully satisfying...at least at that moment.

Last edited by MarkG; 07/05/17 09:52 PM.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run