Intel’s Raja Koduri says 200W to 225W is a sweet spot for GPUs

Raja Koduri says delivering higher performance at lower power is his top priority

Raja Koduri: "Performance per Watt, or delivering higher performance at lower power, is my top priority. There will always be someone with some skill who can say “I’m going to give you more juice”, but my focus is lower power. The other issue I find with just increasing power and bragging about benchmarks is that while it’s good from a marketing standpoint, [there is a limited] number of PC users who can just buy such a card and plug it in. It dramatically reduces your overall market, right?"

Raja Koduri: "High-end has no limit right now. What is the definition of high-end? Is it 600 Watts? Obviously our partners and our customers want some halo SKUs for bragging rights, and we always like to figure out ways to enable that. But my priority at this point is getting that core audience, with one power connector. And that can get you up to 200-225W. If you nail that, and something a little above and a little below, all that falls into the sweet spot."

Intel is taking what, historically, has been the AMD approach to Graphics -- adequate performance at an affordable price. Heck, my RX 5700XT still plays all my games at 4K, on Ultra (or virtually Ultra), and adequate FPS. I still have it running all my games in my home electronics workshop.

I usually buy new hardware just for the fun of assembling and owning it. Some folks buy for the practical reason of playing games well enough or doing professional applications well enough. I realize some folks have their fun owning "the BEST performance" regardless of cost. "To each, his/her own." smile

Competition is good -- it gives us choices. smile

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro