AMD settles Bulldozer CPU lawsuit

AMD has settled a false advertising lawsuit that was launched in the US in 2015 by writing a $12.1 million cheque

AMD was accused of false advertising, fraud, breach of express warrant, negligent misrepresentation and unjust enrichment.

[Lawsuit argued that AMD Bulldozer 8-core] could not perform eight [floating point] calculations simultaneously and should have been described and advertised as a 4-core chip.

Each customer who bought a bulldozer chip will get $35 per chip bought.

As noted by a response to the Article:

It's not that simple as "it should have been described and advertised as a 4-core chip", it performed as a 4-core chip on floating point tasks, and as a 8-core chip on integer tasks.

AMD designed Bulldozer that way because it believed most uses emphasized "integer" calculations and "floating point" was only used occasionally during a program. To AMD it was a logical design choice to increase CPU operating frequency. I think they may have intended to get to clocks in the 6GHz to 8GHz range eventually.

Nonetheless, even I (an AMD fan) believed Bulldozer took the wrong approach. Materials Science and materials for integrated circuits (CPUs) being one of my Engineering Science specialties, I realized practical-desktop PC GHz much above 5GHz was not too feasible with Silicon (I posted a "joke" video on this site making fun of Bulldozer when it came out). As we all know, AMD lost hundreds of millions due to low CPU sales for several years.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro