Originally Posted By: kludger
I'm skeptic about whether the XB1 project Scorpio and PSX will actually compete with gaming PCs with top end video cards...

I agree. The top end PCs will always stay ahead. And, skepticism is warranted regarding most "sales pitches". But, I do think "the practical gap" between normal gaming PCs and Consoles will continue to shrink over the years.

This thread is "The Future And Current Status of AMD..."; so, it appropriately contains posts that speculate about things that impact the "future status" of AMD.

To me, the importance of major consoles all being made of the same basic AMD CPU/GPU/APU technology is that they are going to "set the tone" for which technology is "best supported" by the large game developers.

The above is certainly not an overwhelming advantage for AMD -- but, an "improved situation" that helps AMD survive and leads to sustained AMD competition for Intel/Nvidia. If the consoles were Intel/Nvidia, that ultimately might weaken or kill AMD -- leading to no competition for Intel/Nvidia -- leading to high prices and deliberately holding back improved technology.

Competition is good for all -- regardless of what CPU/GPU one purchases. But, for competition to exist, there has to be viable competitors. So, I "pull for" AMD to continue on smile

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro