RE AMD / Intel Contract for Patent Use / IP:

- AMD's Discrete x86-64 Architecture supports being on Die w/ CPU Cores, and Using Shared Memory.
(AMD Prev. Stated a GCN Block+Controllers Could Be on Die w/ Intel's iSeries Easily)

- nVidia's does not

Intel Signed a deal in hopes they could team with nVidia to put AMD further Behind, was a Win Win fr both Intel and nVidia,
But Backfired in terms of iGPU Development for Intel, no iGPU for Intel was ever Fab'd w/ nVidia's IP, and IntelHD Graphics Continued to lag behind in keeping up with AMD APU's.

Instead they paid nVidia for 5 years for nothing, which only aided in nVidia's aggressive R&D Budget, which AMD cannot match.
So it Helped nVidia more than Intel.

However if Zen/Zen+ Finally catches up w/ Intel. ( as rumors Suggest )

Then we'll have balance between the Light and Dark Sides again, and both companies will have to price their products competitively.
Then it will be down to out of Box Performance, and Right now, Looking at "Rumors" and "Leaks", AMD's Zen APUs will easily Stomp any Mobile or Low Power Intel CPU+HD Graphics Combo.

Intel will likely use AMD's Architecture to match AMD's APU Line.

And AMD will continue it's business plan of Regaining Marketshare from Team Green, by taking % Previously Held by Intel IGP/HD Graphics,

So Every Intel Next Gen Chip sold w/ Radeon IGP is another System Running AMD Graphics.

Not Only would Intel Benefit on the Graphics Side, But on the Video Rendering, Transcode/Decode, and Using IGP for Parallel Tasks as well compared to Performance of the latest IntelHD IGP in those tasks.

Originally Posted By: Allen
Back in the 1970s and very early 1980s I was into designing/building my own desktop computer from scratch (not a kit or another guy's design) -- IC by IC, switch by switch, etc.

I vaguely remember that Intel had a large CPU "invention" team -- to make the "next big thing". It failed. So a couple really bright Intel engineers "virtually singlehandedly" successfully modified an existing Intel design to get us started on the path we are still on (CPU wise).

All that to say: Intel is big. But, it makes "Big" mistakes too -- based on my following their history. The Nvidia deal may be just another one.

As noted above, I hope AMD is not making a mistake by giving Intel the "right" to "bury" AMD by making an equally good APU -- as I figured, long term, AMD had the advantage because its all going to be APUs in the future -- and great graphics would be the determiner of the winner.

Intel Also Plays Dirty, and the Penalty they paid for that does not equal the amount AMD, CyRix, IDT, RiSE, and ViA lost when Intel Broke their Agreement regarding x86 Licensing and Ditched everyone else and Left Everyone on Socket 7 without warning.

Not to mention the Direct Attempts to Sabatoge AMD through Compiler and other Means, which that penalty also does not add up to potential revenue and company losses.

Last edited by SkateZilla; 12/07/16 04:10 PM.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB