The AMD Ryzen 8core/16thread CPU articles today are, so far, not adding much "secret or new" information -- versus watching the presentation.

In a nutshell, the Ryzen at minimum stock clocks with no boost equals the Intel Core i7-6900K (8/16) CPU that sells for about $1050 today at Amazon. And, the power used is much lower than Intel in the same head-to-head tests. The Intel CPU ran at stock 3.2 to 3.7GHz -- supposedly AMD did not "mess with it". Ryzen ran at a constant 3.4GHz.

Though the Intel CPU they used in tests was "the last model" (but only one available today), we know that the newer Intel models coming out in January do not show improvement in IPC. So, the tests were fair in that sense.

Hopefully, the "hinted" improvement in Ryzen by time of release actually comes to pass and it actually performs as well as the AMD "sales pitch" implies.

No doubt Ryzen will be cheaper than the Intel price of $1050. But, I hope a LOT cheaper for it to be a good choice for my gaming PC.

I won't be shocked at a list price of $500 for the top Ryzen. But, based on how the RX480 pricing went, I need to "jump on" the first CPUs being sold at that price, because the price may rise after the first CPUs are sold at "list price".

Why my expected rise in price above $500? NO COMPETITION from Intel at that price point in 8core/16thread CPUs. Whoops. We need competition smile

Competition is good smile

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro