My take:

Is Ryzen a Core killer? No. I didn't expect it to be, despite hype from some quarters, and I wasn't wrong. Intel isn't going to fall on its sword over this.

Is Ryzen a good AMD alternative to Core CPUs? Yes. If your focus is not gaming but multiple types of tasks, Ryzen can get you equivalent or at times better performance for much less cash than Intel's ridiculously pricey options. Intel may see a drop in sales in the already niche market of people willing to pay $1000+ for a CPU going for a $500 Ryzen instead. This is a low-volume, high-margin market, so Intel won't see a big revenue drop but will see a noticeable dent in profits for that segment.

Is Ryzen a good choice for a gaming CPU? Depends. What is your budget and what performance are you looking to get? I think people who specifically do not want an Intel CPU can now game without sacrificing performance for their principles smile but Intel will continue to hold the crown for the near future. Developer engagement and compiler optimization could bring this more level, but I doubt we'll ever see Ryzen beating Kaby Lake across the board, even if it's single-digit percentages faster.

Intel is still #1, but if this were an auto race AMD is no longer not just 2nd but a lap down, they're actually in Intel's wake and poised to make a move should Intel falter, right on their bumper at times. Intel can't coast along on cruise control and expect to win, they're going to have to work for it now.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter