A couple things:

First note:

I just ran 3D Mark FireStrike Extreme on my system (the correct Firestrike for a 2K monitor). My system is not overclocked. Firestrike Extreme was visibly smooth.

Performance of my Crossfired HD7970s was just above AMD R9Fury and about 10 percent below Nvidia GeForce GTX1080 (presumed, leaked Nvidia performance was published).

Its hard to see paying a lot for 10 percent -- which is "measurable" by 3DMark but "invisible" to the "naked eye". Of course, the new cards would be faster than mine in SLI or CrossFire; but, for my use, the point of the new cards is to do away with CrossFire (Crossfire and SLI are said to be -- on the way out).

Lots of folks have a pair of HD7970s. Apparently, they're "old", but not yet "bad" -- according to 3DMark Firestrike.

On a second note:

I noted above that Nvidia will take a loss to win.

In a rumor just published (less than an hour ago at this writing) the author notes that Nvidia is rumored to have just won a contract with Nintendo for a hand held console (up to now, AMD has won all the new consoles). The article says:

Quote:
...the Nintendo NX handheld will be using Nvidia Tegra-based SoC. Apparently, the Nvidia team was told to get a console win no matter what, and Nintendo supposedly got a very favorable deal, so favorable that .. According to one source, Nvidia may even be taking a loss on this deal. ..

The truth remains to be seen. But, it is interesting to me to read this so soon after my comment above.

Article

After this month, presumably we will no longer need "rumors". We'll have some facts on both Nvidia and AMD new-era parts. Nvidia's test reports are officially due out on May 17 -- just 3 days smile

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro