Originally Posted by Allen
At least this much has become very likely (to me), 4 core/8 thread will be very inadequate in a couple years (for the newest games/apps). The folks who make the highest end games and applications will begin to design to make use of 16 cores/ 32 threads -- they must to keep their "highest end" ranking.

I don't agree with you at all, there is no pressure to adapt development to anything beyond optimal 4/8 core for gaming and apps - most apps still aren't doing it properly for multiple cores anyway. A lot of the gaming development will and always will be based around the consoles and it will be much more work or nigh on impossible in the long run for devs to create code for 16 core/32 threads and be backwards compatible for processors with much less core counts, especially when such a small proportion of gamers will have these CPUs at the higher end of the market. It's exactly the same reason we don't see much of a performance increase for cpu's with 8/10 cores now.

I personally believe it will be another 4-5 years before we see games utilising 4/8 cores optimally.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.