AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990X Flagship 32 Core, 64 Thread 4.00 GHz CPU Detailed and Benchmarked – Overclocks Up To 4.12 GHz Across All Cores on High-End Corsair AIO Liquid Cooler

The chip, which will be based on the 12nm FinFET process will be part of the 2nd generation Ryzen Threadripper lineup that launches in Q3 2018.

AMD 2nd Generation Ryzen Threadripper 2990X CPU Specifications, Performance and Overclock Potential Detailed, Disrupts Intel’s 28 Core 5 GHz Computex Demo

The chip will rock 32 cores and 64 threads which eclipses Intel’s Halo product which will sport only 28 cores and 56 threads. The chip tested was a B2 stepping with a base clock of 3.4 GHz and a maximum boost clock of 4.0 GHz while the precision boost overdrive clocks are rated at +200 MHz so expect up to 4.20 GHz in single core optimized workloads. This shows that AMD can still achieve very high clock speeds even when they jumped to twice as many cores as their previous flagship, the Ryzen Threadripper 1950X.

we have confirmation of at least two processors in the 2nd Gen Threadripper family which will include:

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990X 32 Core/64 Thread
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2970X 24 Core/48 Thread

AMD also stated that they are preparing new coolers for the Ryzen Threadripper 2nd generation processors.

Unfortunately, there's no way I can use 32 cores effectively -- wish I could -- so I could rationalize buying one of these 32 core wonders.

As many articles have pointed out, Intel's 5GHz tests of its 28 core unit were unrealistic (to be polite). The Intel CPU will run a lot slower than that. So, AMD wins the "highest core count" performance crown -- today. Also, the predicted AMD price is much lower than the Intel price. AMD should win "bang per buck" also.

Competition is good smile Unfortunately, AMD had to choose between competing in CPUs and GPUs at this time -- they picked CPUs. I imagine GPUs and the Nvidia competition are next. But the rumor is AMD will compete mostly at the GPU prime price point -- rather than the highest end price and performance point. We'll see.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro