An article discusses the improvement from generation to generation of Intel processors.

Quote:
...The feeling was that Kaby Lake is a decent step forward. But it is pretty dull .. It does follow a margin of improvement which is about what we expect these days. Haswell to Broadwell gave us maybe 10 percent. Going from Broadwell to Skylake yielded similar results. Is 10 per cent worth getting excited about? Not really and not worth dumping your Skylake for...

They point out most AMD generational improvements are also in the 10 percent range.

This just supports my "biases". If one buys "today's" best CPU, it will be "years" before something comes out that actually makes a "visible" difference in games ("measurable" but not "visible").

The upcoming AMD Zen CPU should make a big 40 percent jump because AMD goes from a "poor" CPU architecture to an "up to date" CPU architecture. Intel made that jump a few years back -- so is stuck on the 10 percent path.

After Zen, AMD may also be stuck on the 10 percent path during future years. Moreover, if 7nm really is the smallest architecture -- we are close to the very end of progress (on single Core, single thread performance).

Based on my BIAS, it could be that the next CPU one buys may be the last one they ever actually need to buy for games (except to replace a failed part) -- at least for older SimHQ members, like me. But, I'll buy the new ones just for fun smile

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro