Originally Posted by Allen
A FWIW post: Current high end GPUs and M.2 SSDs are PCIe 4.0 generation. The top new motherboards have PCIe 5.0 generation connectors for the GPU and M.2 SSDs.

So, when buying a new GPU or M.2 SSD, some may wish to buy the PCIe 5.0 GPUs and PCIe 5.0 M.2 SSDs.

On paper, PCIe 5.0 data transfers will be twice as fast as PCIe 4.0 -- maybe not that fast in practice. And, it won't make GPUs twice as fast -- just faster. On the other hand, M.2 SSD devices may easily be nearly twice as fast.

Comparing PCIe 5.0 to PCIe 4.0

PCIe (PCI Express) is an important part of the computing world. It stands for Peripheral Component Interconnect Express and is one of two main interconnects that allows connections to GPUs, SSDs,, and other peripherals within your computing device.

PCIe 5.0 will be viewed as an extension of the previous standard, doubling bandwidth, frequency, and gigatransfer compared to Gen 4. What this means for users is that data can essentially be transferred at far greater speeds.

What's more, with faster speeds there is a larger chance for signal loss. The PCIe 5.0 standard builds in capabilities to better handle the noise and signal loss compared to that of PCIe 4.0.

I'll probably stick with my PCIe 4.0 GPUs until the PCIe 5.0 GPUs are released. I do plan to buy at least one PCIe 5.0 M.2 SSD relatively soon.

My current AMD 6900 XT GPU is PCIe 4.0 - however I'm on an Intel i9 10900K system, which only supports PCIe 3.0? I wonder if an upgrade to the new 13 series would be worth it? Probably not.

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD