AMD in PlayStation 5 is no surprise

The story is straightforward. Ever since Playstation One, Sony didn’t want to use Nvidia for various reasons nor did Nvidia wantto settle for low console margins offered by Sony.

AMD is designing a semi-custom design for Sony; this is where Lisa [AMD CEO] has real expertise and what we learned over the years that she likes to do. She likes the semi-custom business as this is stable but yet a lower margin business than selling GPUs or CPUs to OEMs. Selling to OEMs is volatile, as it fluctuates based on market conditions while semi-custom guys have to commit years in advance.

Also expect AMD to provide the next Microsoft XBox CPU/GPU capability. For both consoles, a 2020 launch is rumored/speculated.

Rumored to have 8 core CPUs. If so, new games will start to make better use of 8 core CPUs. Parenthetically, XPlane 11 already used 8cores/16threads to 90/95 percent for a brief time in one of my tests. I read XPlane will use more than that if available -- but, they say there is little effect on FPS (and I saw no prolonged effect).

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro