Quote:
AMD Zen Based Summit Ridge Processor Family To Have Dedicated Overclocking Variants – Aimed at Enthusiasts and Overclockers

...The part will feature 8 cores based on the Zen architecture. These special, enthusiast-grade chips would ensure high OC margins but also ship with higher frequencies compared to standard 95W variants. The TDP would remain at 95W for the higher clocked variants given that these are cherry picked..

The special OC variants will be shipping at higher prices compared to regular 8 core variants and would require some decent AM4 motherboards to churn out their true potential. Last but not least, the chips are said to ship without any heatsink cooler, that would otherwise be available with normal variants..

AMD has usually "cherry picked" the top of the line CPU out of the "standard bin" of chips -- and given it a new part number. Its why I like to buy their best (most expensive) CPU -- its "hand selected". Not saying other manufacturers don't do the same.

The article indicates 40 percent more instructions per clock on these 8-core/16-thread Zen CPUs.

It all sounds good. But, it remains to be seen what the clock rate will actually be.

If roughly 4GHz for the "enthusiast" chip, great (that would be an improvement on my 8-core/8-thread FX9590 at 4.7-5.0GHz). If around 3.2GHz -- well, I will probably buy one -- but, I want more -- much more smile

Article

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro